Sunday, May 2, 2010

To Summer-eyes

Adam offered some pretty fantastic suggestions for blog names, to include:

- …Asian summersion.com

- …something in regards to summer/spring rolls or sauce, etc…

- …something along the lines of “saigon malaysia… more like so long malaise, yeah!” which was obviously my favorite- but quite long and not very broad, all-in-all… much like the title I have arrived at as homage to the only line from the epic song (“One night in Bangkok”) that, on its own and out of context, does not sound offensive or risque. And truly… I have seen a lot of things. And none of them have been Yul Brynner.

- I must also make mention of my dad’s suggestion- Summer-Eyes, which is paid tribute in the title of this tardy post.

Thus, my online travel “journal” comes into existence. I will leave you on this note as I am very very tired: I have taken to dropping the plural endings, articles and most prepositions in the majority of my sentences- even when conversing with Kady and Kady alone.

For example:

“Should we go to the market next?” has turned into “We go market now?”

“Will you take my picture next to the Ronald McDonald doing the wai?” has turned into “You take photo?”

“I really like this belt” has turned into “I like very much”

“This place has really cheap cocktails” = “here, cocktail only 40 baht”

All of this is accompanied with vigorous nodding and often, pointing.

Well, three or four days in and it has once again gotten much too late and I am off to bed as you are all hitting your 2 pm slump. Tomorrow is a long day, full of squeezing in some last minute Bangkok sight-seeing and heading south on a ten+ hour bus-ride. Stay tuned for:

*Kady and the shortcut

*Tuktuk and the shoe

*Pets, strays and young girls

*Market after-hours

*Thai massage

*Grasshoppers and grubs

*Haggling in the market

*Five guys and the map

*ITF, not WTF

*Thai people staring and laughing

*Kady’s unicorn jeans

*Nicole Kidman vs Annette Benning…

All the best, Summer

No comments:

Post a Comment