Sunday, May 16, 2010

The Moped Diaries

Our second bungalow in Krabi was around 8 USD a person per night. Not our greatest deal on the trip but we could literally walk to the beach in about thirty seconds without rushing.
We saved 4 bucks a night by going with a fan-cooled room instead of air-conditioning. The fan was between two twin beds and the sound of it oscillating was unbearable. So we turned off the oscillation and pushed the beds together to ensure maximum fan-cooling. I may or may not have been guilty of knowing the fan leaned a full degree or two in my favor.

We were awakened far too early by the housekeeper. I answered the door trying to cover myself up in my t-shirt with that blank look on my face one has at 8:30 in the morning when on a beach vacation. I declined any cleaning service and turned to survey the view the cleaning lady had just gotten- the highlights being: Kady lying languidly in a bed wearing not much more than a sheet... and a bottle of five dollar Thai rum at the foot of two twin beds awkwardly pushed together.
I was uncomfortable with the conclusions one could have falsely drawn from that scene so I opted to combat any rumors about our lifestyle by wearing this:





Kady and I made a fateful decision in Krabi, Thailand. One that would change not only our trip, but our lives. Now- Father, Brothers, others... do not fear... as we are safe and were never in any danger.



...We rented a motorbike.





Anything I say will sound trite compared to the reality of having this bike for three days. The bike cost 6USD a day and the freedom this afforded us was priceless. One of the most exhausting things about travelling is having to suss out the cheapest way to get around. Well, we had the cheapest way for three days. There was no bargain-hunting to be done. No schedules to comply with. Getting lost in the mountains and jungles of Thailand with no real timeframe or destination... anything I say about how "awesome" it was... will just frustrate me. So I'll simply offer a few photos of things we accidentally stumbled upon thanks to this destiny-altering motorbike.






























No comments:

Post a Comment