Monday, June 7, 2010

Edie

(If you are a LOST fan, it would be most preferable if you read the following post while listening to the opening score of the season finale...)

I will admit it. I have spent a shameful amount of time imagining being reunited with Edie. I take that back. I have spent a shameless amount of time imagining it.

I see a million dogs every day and no matter how haggard they are... they make me think of Edie. Of course, the same goes for babies, raw chickens, roasted ducks, monkeys, and anything else I like very much or that brings me an undo amount of pleasure and/or glee.

In some of these fantasies, she is in the car of the person who picks me up late Thursday night from the Burlington International Airport (as of today I think that person is to be Bailey). She sees me even before I see her. She is so excited she actually levitates...

In other fantasies, I walk in the door of one of her guardian's homes and she stares at me with blank dark eyes... she cocks her head to one side...

*Will it take her a little while to recognize me or will she know right away?
*Will she feel excitement initially but then become subdued with resentment as she contemplates why I've been away so long?
*If she knows who I am right away and is excited and immediately overjoyed... how long will she vibrate with excitement?
*Has she replaced me in her mind?
*Has she started to love someone more than me or, just as bad- as much as me?
*Does she feel lonely?
*Does she think I don't love her anymore?
*Will this change the dynamic of our relationship?
*Will she start to watch me with a cynical eye, waiting for my next betrayal?
*Will she betray me before I can her again?
*Will she leave me next time?
*Will she reject me to avoid this pain again?
















Don't get me wrong; I love you People. Both of you. But Edie...

Well, you guys know...

2 comments:

  1. I too think about reuniting with edie, almost daily. and she's not even my dog!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Is that because you wrote it while listening to the opening score of the Lost finale?

    ReplyDelete