Monday, June 14, 2010

One Night in Catbah Makes... You Humble

I was determined to eat crab in Catbah. We were interested in eating on one of the floating restaurants but all we wanted to do was see a stupid menu. You have to take a boat to get out there and we were worried that we might find the prices too high but then be held hostage... Which is pretty much exactly what happened although we were only stranded for some fifteen minutes.

We stepped off the return boat taxi onto the dock and perused the menu at the next restaurant we walked past, found "crab" and followed the hostess to be seated.

I had washed my hair and showered. So you could say I was feeling pretty good about myself despite the unexplainable giant swollen rash all over my eye and my new found cystic acne that Kady had pointed out earlier. There is nothing like a hot water shower after two days of bus travel to give you some new perspective.

We arrived at our table and the hostess who would also serve as our waitress looked at me with wide eyes and exclaimed, "Beautiful!".

I was about to get a big head about it when she turned both to Liz, the Australian-"Beautiful!" and Kady- "Beautiful!".

I opened my mouth to lament how I thought she was only going to compliment me when the hostess whipped back around, gestured toward my upper region and cried out, "BIG!"... My face turned red and I was thankful for the diversion as she turned to Kady. She opened her mouth- "SMA..." but something went horribly awry as her glance fell to Kady's belly which was, admittedly, shrouded in in empire waist sundress that could easily function as a maternity dress...

"BABY! Oooh! Baby!!! Baby baby baby!"...

We were all mortified. Except for the waitress/hostess who we decided was either afflicted with a disability or intoxication.

"Baby likes beer," was all Kady could say. Then she ordered a 32 oz beer.

The next night, Liz accompanied us again to a bar/cafe that advertised pedicures. We could not think of anything better. As we stepped from the patio into the open air cafe, I saw a big old mama dog sleeping in the middle of the floor. I went near to pet her but was warned that she was mean from having just delivered a litter of puppies. After the waitresses saw my reaction to the word "puppies", I was greeted no more than five minutes later with a newborn puppy whose eyes weren't even open.

arm is larger than it appears?

Cheap gin and tonics, $1 pedicures, and puppies!? You've got to be kidding me! You're killing me, Catbah Island!

1 comment:

  1. Hahaha. Hilarious. Lovin your stories so far. You have a nice way of capturing the moment.

    ReplyDelete